Author Topic: Last Call  (Read 719 times)

GM Craig

• Administrator
Last Call
« on: December 21, 2017, 11:34:42 AM »
Ok, last call before we start the summer campaign. If there's any last minutes preparations you want to do, get them done here.

Equipment (including armour and weapons / spare weapons)
Extra mounts
Mercenaries
Squires (and gear for them)
Manor improvements

Cedwyn

Re: Last Call
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 03:50:36 PM »
Cedwyn rounds out his militia with some knifers.

Artaigne

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 04:33:09 PM »
I would like to make some purchases, but wanted to clarify something before I do...I think I remember somewhere that we are a bit before the times of the sourcebook, so is that price list for arms and armor acceptable or do I need to use another?  I specifically remember that we aren't using lances yet, and chainmail may not be available?
The sinister, landless, lord-less, fortune-seeking Hibernian random-hunter.

Cedwyn

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 08:49:47 AM »
Cedwyn also will buy a 2£ fancy bed and spend 2.5 £ on fancy carving for the main hall and the lord/lady’s quarters (1L ea) and nice but simpler (read ungilded) carving for the remainder (.5 L]

Total consumption...4.5L

Geoffrey

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 10:14:36 AM »
Does War Gear include Travel gear?

Travel Gear (60d): This includes a tent (with cord and stakes), a blanket, cooking and eating materials, horse-tending equipment, horse blankets, cold weather and rain cloaks, a few rags, and so on. Such gear can be carried on a horse that is also being ridden, and amounts to about a quarter of a horse-load per person (so a half-load for both knight and squire), without much food or water. If your character has something special in his travel gear, such as a mirror or a wig, write this in the small space provided.

War Gear (2£): This includes things for extended military campaigning, such as a few pairs of warm socks, a spare cloak, curry brushes, a length of rope, whetstones, some paint and a brush to touch up shield devices, a lance and a spare   sword, several bits of armor for makeshift repairs, a keg of rough sand (for your squire to polish your mail), a couple bottles of wine, and anything else that might not be easily replaceable while on campaign. This is about a horse-load per person (so two full loads for both knight and squire), but this includes the travel gear for each person as well.

Valka

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 09:08:53 PM »
Guys, I need help buying stuff for the tour and upgrades for Valka. I'm like never going to move forward. This isn't my forte and would really appreciate just a list I can approve on so we can play. Pretty please?

Arne

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 09:58:49 PM »
Hmmm . . .

1)  Maybe upgrade armor to chain mail?  It's another -5 DEX modifier, but it provides an extra +4 protection.  Cost will be 180 d. or £2 (town price vs. city price)

2)  A second rouncy (or better type of horse) for battle.  Sumpter horses are pack animals.

3)  A few more spears (3-4)

4)  Maybe the Nord equivalent of a knight's fashionable clothes?  Nords love to show off.  ;)  Price for a set would be 120 d. or £1 (town price vs. city price)

5)  Squire:  We had 2 warriors trained as Svends (basically the same thing as squires) for the last year, but they didn't come with us.  They're already fully equipped with arms, armor and horses.  I don't know if we're supposed to pay them extra since they're already being paid merc rates by the Earl.  If we also pay for the squire's upkeep, it's £1 per year per squire.

Prices for the tour?  I dunno. I still don't know how much it will cost to equip us and our 40 warriors (ie. war gear and supplies) for the campaign.  I guess we'll have to wait until the envoy comes back from dinner.   ;)

I've posted up some price questions/concerns on Arne's personal board (see Costs/expenses/equipment for the settlement and warriors) as well.  Some of those suggestions will be joint costs.  Arne's already paid Lady Habren our debt plus the first year's worth of taxes.

Also, I did some calculations and Valka should have £19 and 35 d. total cash to her name.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 10:51:20 PM by Arne »
Warriors don't show their heart until the axe reveals it. - Floki, Vikings

Artaigne

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 10:36:15 AM »
Still waiting to hear what price list we are supposed to be using.
The sinister, landless, lord-less, fortune-seeking Hibernian random-hunter.

GM Craig

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 10:42:41 AM »
Standards from the rulebook. I posted something about that somewhere - let me see if I can dig it up.

Only found bits and snippets, so I excepted the salient points in a sticky thread. There's a lot more in the rules, I posted a selection of pertinent items.

Sarum and Salisbury are doing well, so you can pay the book town price for the things on the list.

Note, money spent on extraneous gear or gear of higher decoration etc. counts as Conspicuous Consumption, and earns you 1 Glory for every £1 spent. Outfitting the Northmen in better gear, for example, would qualify. Spending extra for fancy gear would qualify, but basic war-gear like armour and weapons does not.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 11:16:56 AM by GM Craig »

GM Craig

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 11:12:29 AM »
Equipping the Northmen mercs is already covered, though they have basic kit like leather or padded armour, and axes or swords (mostly scrounged). If you wanted to outfit them with better gear, you'd need to spend coin for that. That would, in effect, increase the pay but also the upkeep. In effect, you would have a chance for higher income at the end of the year if you made that investment. Right now, they are effectively militia. But if you kitted them out with better armour and weapons, they'd qualify as footmen, and earn more. Expenses would be higher as well, but you would have a higher range of possible income after the campaign season is over.

For all of you, as things have been fairly normal on your lands, supplies are abstracted. Your troops come to the field with the supplies required, produced by the manor. Depending on game circumstances, that may change in the future, but for now your lands produce enough that you are able to provide for troops in the field. For the Northmen, supplies come out of the wages you earn while being in the field, and get netted out at the end. Your people turn over any excess to you, after expenses and upkeep are paid. Down the road, if you are raided, or taxed heavily, or some other tribute is paid that you have to contribute to, you may not be able to provide your own supplies, so you would need to buy them. For now, it's all handled by your stewards, off-screen.

Having a spear-carrier is not considered a cost, but if you want them to act and serve as a squire, they need the gear and commensurate upkeep to have them serve that roll. If you want to upgrade a couple of Northmen mercenaries to act as squires, you'll need to kit them out (weapons, horses, armour) and pay their upkeep (£1 annually).

Valka

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 12:08:58 PM »
Having a spear-carrier is not considered a cost, but if you want them to act and serve as a squire, they need the gear and commensurate upkeep to have them serve that roll. If you want to upgrade a couple of Northmen mercenaries to act as squires, you'll need to kit them out (weapons, horses, armour) and pay their upkeep (£1 annually).

We kitted out a "Svend" each for last summer but the full group didn't bring theirs (can't remember why).

GM Craig

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 12:11:35 PM »
Ok, so pay the maintenance, and you're covered.

You didn't bring them last summer because the King insisted on a small delegation.

Valka

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 12:13:28 PM »
Are the squires purely an expense ie not like the men provided as mercs?

GM Craig

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 12:31:43 PM »
Correct. Squires who act and are kitted out as squires take upkeep costs.

Arne

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2018, 06:26:28 PM »
Equipping the Northmen mercs is already covered, though they have basic kit like leather or padded armour, and axes or swords (mostly scrounged). If you wanted to outfit them with better gear, you'd need to spend coin for that.

We did scrounge some stuff from the Saxons (enough to kit out roughly half of our warriors as I recall), but the Earl allowed us to spend some of our merc pay in advance (last year's campaign) to kit out the rest of our soldiers (see Arne's personal board under Costs/Expenses/Equipment thread).  All 43 warriors were outfitted each with hard leather armor, common shield, spear axe and dagger.  Also, the 8 veterans and the 2 Svends (squires) were each given a rouncy (with basic tack and harness).

What would we be looking at in regards to equipment to bring them up to footmen status?  Chainmail, for starters?
Warriors don't show their heart until the axe reveals it. - Floki, Vikings