Author Topic: RP: On the March  (Read 1389 times)

GM Craig

• Administrator
RP: On the March
« on: June 28, 2014, 05:10:54 PM »
You have been a squire for six years in the Count's service. Sir Amig, your tutor, tells you the time is almost ripe for you to be knighted. It stung your pride a little when you were serving Count Salisbury while Cedwyn, Ifan and Wiggan "got their spurs," but given the unusual oaths they were made to swear, owing fealty to the Pendragon over Count Salisbury, perhaps it was for the nest you were not knighted with them. A man cannot serve two masters, or so ancient Pagan wisdom goes.

As the evening wore on, Count Roderick released you to find some food for yourself. Having worked so closely with him over the last 6 years, you could tell he was disturbed by this turn of events, and some of his officers spoke of Uther's brashness. More than one lamented that Merlin was not here to moderate the King's behaviour. It seems Merlin helped King Uther out at a battle last summer, but the cost of his pagan magic causes him to sleep for months at a time when he uses it.

But that is not all the bad news. Several vassals of King Uther have not responded to the muster. Conrwall, in the west, being the most prominent. No one discusses it openly, but you know they are troubled. If Cornwall can openly defy the king, it could lead to trouble. Then there is the absence of Caercolun. You heard the prince reporting to Count Roderick that an army of Saxons landed there and were pillaging the county. Spies also report that a thousand Saxons have reinforced the Saxons in the southeast. The whole situation has made the King's advisers tense. With the army marching in the morning to face king ?lle in the southeast, news of reinforcements combined with several prominent vassals failing to respond to the muster, made  the planning meetings Roderick attended tense.

That is all above your station, of course, but your family has always had a knack for intrigue, a talent Count Roderick has made good use of the past six years.

You grab a plate of food in the kitchen, and a mug of beer before heading to the barracks to turn in. It is perhaps an hour later when are still surprised to see a servant appeared in the barracks door. Most of the castle had gone to their rooms.

"Squire Gwyn?" When you respond, he walks over to you. "Count Roderick bade me tell you that he requires you to attend him in his chambers. He also said you were to done your armour and bring your sword." The servant gives you a short bow and departs.

Now this was odd - you ordinarily only wore a sword in the field, not around the castle. Only knights were permitted.

Three other squires who share the room with you give you looks that run the gamut from concern to jealousy. It is not unusual for Count Roderick to summon you to his quarters at odd hours, given your penchant for hearing things. But never before has he bade you to come armed and armoured.

Gwyn

Re: RP: On the March
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 11:21:23 PM »
"My thanks." Gwyn nods to the servant and goes, thoughtfully, to his storage chest to pull out his gear. Odd, this. Whatever can it mean? Gwyn notices the other squires' interest, and shrugs, as he straps on the various bits of his armour. "Can't be anything but another drill for training, surely?" he rolls his eyes then shakes his head in his usual 'me again?' complaint. "'Tis probable that Amig waits for me in the Count's chambers, to chastize me on how I've buckled my belt!" he chuckles to himself. Still shaking his head mildly, he carries his sword and belt out of the room. He hopes the others will take it easy on him later. He hopes this means he finally will see some action. He hopes for...so much...and yet...why me, why now? He hopes for answers, as he grimly straps on the sword and belt, hurrying with purpose to the Count's chambers.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 01:49:15 PM by Gwyn »

GM Craig

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 11:13:24 AM »
[OOC: Editing you slightly - you were to report to Count Roderick's chambers.]

You head to the count's chambers. The corridors are empty, and there is only the distant sound of some revellers continuing the celebrations in their rooms to break the stillness of the evening. A few servants would be about, here and there, but for the most part the castle is quiet.

You come to the count's door, and knock softly. It is opened by Sir Amig, and you are quickly and quietly ushered inside.

Even with the fire banked low, you can make out several knights. Sir Amig, of course - your trainer and mentor. Beside him is Sir Elad, the Marshall of the county. Near the fire stands Sir Hywell, another senior knight. Seated near them is Count Roderick himself. He smiles when he sees you.

"Squire Gwyn. Long have I entrusted the gathering of information to your family. I find I am once more in need to that service. Doubtless you know what transpired in the knighting this evening. I have no cause to doubt the loyalty of the three knights - you know them as well as I do. But oaths now bind them to two masters, and that makes the situation more complicated than I would like. I have no intention of going against the King - the Pendragon line has held the loyalty of my family since Aurelius first arrived on our shores bearing the Pendraon banner, and they will hold it far longer. But this move by the king unsettles me. I need someone I can trust as a confederate of these new knights. Not to spy, exactly, but to keep an eye on them. I would know if the King communicates with them directly, and I am entrusting you to carry this deed out. But a squire would have a harder time of it than a knight. There is also the shortage of knights on the field. With Uther's vassals abandoning him, we who are left must shoulder a larger burden. I had planned on knighting you in the fall anyway, but for the two reasons I stated, I wish to do so tonight."

He pauses. "Do you have any questions?"

Gwyn

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 01:54:18 PM »
Gwyn smiles to himself when Sir Amig opens the door to the Count's chambers, thinking he was right, it's but a training drill. As he enters the room, he rapidly re-assesses the situation, and stifles the grin. The Count speaks the unbelievable. I am needed? My family's heritage? By all the Powers...times are rough now surely!

Gwyn gathers himself proudly before this quiet group. The air is thick with brooding thoughts. "Sir Count, I am yours to command."

GM Craig

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 03:23:47 PM »
He nods. Sir Amig holds out his hand for your sword. You hand it over, and the Count says, "Kneel before me, Gwyn."

You kneel.

Roderick, Count of Salisbury says, "Do you acknowledge me as your true and rightful liege?"

Gwyn

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 05:08:43 PM »
"I do."

GM Craig

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 10:36:43 AM »
He nods. Rising, he continues.

"Do you pledge fealty to me, and swear your sword to me, to be forever at my service?"

[OOC: I need to make sure who is logged in when I post. :)]

Gwyn

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 11:21:55 PM »
"I do so pledge my fealty, and my sword. They are yours forever, Sir Count!"
Gwyn hardly hears the words he's speaking, for the pounding of his blood in his ears, and the power he knows these words will have over his life.

GM Craig

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 09:29:25 AM »
Roderick continues the rite. "Repeat after me: 'I, Gwyn, do solemnly swear and pledge my sword to Roderick, Count of Salisbury, my liege, to defend and obey him until he depart his demesnes or death shall take me, and to uphold the honour of knighthood.'"

Gwyn

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 06:57:33 AM »
"I, Gwyn ap Cai, do solemnly swear and pledge my sword to Roderick, Count of Salisbury, my liege, to defend and obey him until he depart his demesnes or death shall take me, and to uphold the honour of knighthood."

GM Craig

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 05:23:12 PM »
Roderick then draws your sword from Sir Amig. Tapping you lightly on each shoulder, he says, "I dub thee Sir Gwyn ap Cai, and return this, my sword, to you to be wielded in my name. Arise, Sir Knight."

He holds the sword out across between you, flat on his palms.

Gwyn

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 08:50:36 PM »
"My liege." Gwyn accepts the sword, and stands. He looks around the room, wondering what can happen next.